Monday 2 December 2013

PUMPKIN AND CORN SOUP WITH CHIPOTLE PEPPER



We've been buying pumpkins for a couple of weeks now, they are delicious and So tasty. Last week, my husband created this amazing soup, so comforting for cold nights and so fulfilling. The night he did it, I arrived home quite late, very hungry and cold. The house was warm and inviting and the smell of chipotle pepper and roasted corn made my tummy shiver. He covered my eyes and displayed the pumpkin soup in front of me, I knew there was something special going on. When I opened my eyes I couldn't believe how beautiful the soup looked, served inside the pumpkin with its own lid! I just thought.. my husband rocks, how fortunate I am! What's even better is that the soup tasted absolutely amazing. 
While eating it I told him that I wanted to write a post about it. He was flattered.
So here I am, sharing this recipe full of nourishment and love with you.
A few comments: I used smoked tofu sausages to add some protein, you can totally avoid it or use something else, such as beans or tempeh, or seitan.
If you have to much pumpkin pure, keep it for next day, its delicious on its own.
Make sure you don't overcook the pumpkin as it will become too soft and  fragile in order to hold on the soup.
I used some frozen corn I had kept from the summer crop, feel free to use any type of corn.


Pumpkin and corn soup with chipotle pepper

For 2 persons

Ingredients:

1 pumpkin around 1.4 kgs
3 tbps olive oil
salt and pepper
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 red pepper, cut in small cubes
1 garlic clove, minced
2 smoked tofu sausages  cut into 0.5mm coins
150 grs corn
1 tbsp roughly chopped sage
1 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2  tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp chipotle chilli powder
250 ml vegetable stock
Directions:

Preheat the oven to 200 C degrees.
Cut a hole on the top of the pumpkin carefully. 
You want to create a lid. 
Then scoop out the seeds and pulp and rub with olive oil 
and salt and pepper.

Place the pumpkin up side down on an oven tray, fill with 1/2 cup of water and cover with tin foil.
Cook in the oven for 45 minutes approximately (this will depend on the size of your pumpkin).
Once its cooked, turn up  the pumpkin  so that it cools quicker.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium skillet and sauté the onions, pepper and garlic for a couple of minutes until soft. Add the spices and the herbs. Remove from the pan and without washing the pan, sauté for some minutes de tofu sausages until brown and crispy. Add them to the onion mix. In the same pan cook the corn until slightly burnt to add some smokey flavor.

When the pumpkin is cold enough to handle, scoop the flesh carefully trying to avoid piercing the flesh. 

It will be very soft. In a medium saucepan put the onion mix, the corn and the pumpkin flesh (if its too much, just keep some for the next day). Add the warm vegetable stock and mix thoroughly. Cook for 15 minutes at a low temperature. At this point you could blend the soup or have it chunky, as I did. Taste and adjust seasoning. 

Pour the soup inside the  hollowed pumpkin and cover with the lid.
Serve immediately with a piece for warm bread.




We have entered the last month of the year. How did it happen so fast? Christmas is round the corner and I just can't believe the year is almost over.  As we all know, this is a crazy month, so try to keep it calm between x-mas shopping and preparations. I'll be super busy and looking forward to show you some of the deliciousness I'll be cooking. 
I just came back from Paris, I promise some pictures and recommendations in the days to come.
Have a nice week!



No comments:

Post a Comment